Artisanal soap 101: Your introduction to sustainable cleansing
Over the years, we humans have shifted from malls to farmer’s markets, from mass-produced food to organic alternatives, from synthetic to au natural, when it comes to what we consume. This lifestyle change has brought about a healthier and more sustainable approach to life, which is great. However, in many cases, it is restricted to simply what we consume. And by what we consume, we mean anything that goes into our mouths.
Believe it or not, there are umpteen different ways through which chemicals can enter your body, a primary passage being through your skin. What you apply directly to your skin is absorbed by the body, and plays an integral role in your overall health. Surprised?
We couldn’t emphasize on holistic and sustainable cleansing methods more, due to the harmful chemicals found in mass produced soap. A lot of you might be scratching your heads over the exact difference between handcrafted artisanal soaps and soaps that you pick off the racks. Search no more; we are here to give you answers, some shocking, yet important perspectives into this matter. Brace yourself, because your life will never be the same, especially while picking a bar of commercial soap from the supermarket. Here is what natural soaps give you that commercial soaps never can.
- Toxic-free cleansing: Did you know that commercial soaps contain toxic petrochemical ingredients, which affect your skin and pollute the environment? It’s scary but true! In the case of artisanal soaps, they are free of these hazardous chemicals, and are extremely light on the skin and the earth.
- Free of synthetic detergent: Contrary to common knowledge, commercial mass-produced soaps are made with synthetic detergents. These are the same detergents that go into making washing powders, dishwashing liquids and so on. With paraben and sulphates, they are a cocktail of chemicals. And handmade soaps are free of these chemicals.
- Natural color: Handmade soaps thrive on being natural from all perspectives. From its fragrance, to its color, only skin-safe ingredients are used to create artisanal soaps, in most cases. However, there are some natural soap brands that use mica. Whereas commercial soaps see a bunch of artificial color and fragrance to enhance its look and feel, while keeping production costs low.
- No preservatives: Commercial soaps see a higher shelf life due to the preservatives added to it, to keep it lasting longer. Despite what you think, these preservatives are harmful for the human body. Natural soap on the other hand, are free of preservatives, due to which the shelf life is lower and cost per bar is higher.
- Animal-friendly: From using animal fats, to testing their products on our furry little friends, commercial soaps give zero heed to animals. Natural soaps are mostly made from vegetable fats, and are not tested on innocent animals locked up in labs. Being ethical in its approach, it is the best way forward.
- Sustainable ingredients: Only natural and locally sources ingredients go into making artisanal soaps. From coconut and rice bran oil, to herbs and fruit extracts, its ingredients are fresh off a farm. Commercial soaps see quite the opposite approach when it comes to its ingredients, as it comprises of mostly synthetic and chemical concoctions that are made in labs.
- Environment-friendly: Commercial soaps see a high carbon footprint, and contribute to water and soil pollution. The soap water flow through the drains into the water bodies, causing endocrine disruption issues. This adversely affects planet earth. Natural soaps, on the other hand, do not contribute to pollution.
Despite what advertisements and mass-media tell you about commercial soaps, do not get brainwashed by it. Do your research, understand the chemicals that surround making one bar of commercial soap, and switch to a sustainable and holistic approach to body-care. All it takes is a dash of understanding, a pinch of thought, and an open heart!
Buy artisanal handcrafted soap here